|Candidate Video Interview
(Provided by Manx Television)
|Not Yet Available
|Not Yet Available
Phil Braidwood - Douglas East
|| Robert Philip (Phil) Braidwood
||Married to Lynda for 33 years
|| 2 - a daughter Rachael and a son Adam
|Place of Birth
|| Bolton, Lancs
||If not the Isle of Man when did you move here?
1951 Aged 2
Contact Details for Voters
Political History & Views
What is your political history or relevant experience?
- Member of Onchan Commissioners 1983 - 1988
(Resigned when the family moved into Douglas)
- Elected to the House of Keys at a by-election in 1995
- Member of DoT with responsibility for Ports 1995 - 1996
- Re-elected in 1996
- Member of DLGE with responsibiliy for Environmental Health and Safety Division. Nov 1996 - 1999
- Member of Treasury 1999 - 2001
- Chairman of Financial Supervision Commission 1999 - 2001
- Re elected in 2001
- Minister of Home Affairs 2001 - 2005
- Chairman of the Communications Commission 2001 - 2005
- Minister of DoT 2005 - todate
Are you a member of any organisation which guides or influences your political views or polices?
What are your main national issues?
- Maintaining a healthy economy to enable continued investment into Island services, such as healthcare, education and social amenities.
- Provision of affordable housing.
- Immigration and residency control. Ensuring there is no negative impact on the Island in relation to protecting local jobs, social services and infrastructure.
- Maintaining and improving our standard of living.
- Making our roads safer.
What are your main local issues?
- Ensuring adequate healthcare and social services.
- Improving local infrastructure, roads, amenities etc.
- Securing and improving leisure facilities, particularly for the young.
- Anti-social behaviour.
- Inappropriate local developments and planning decisions.
What do you believe you would bring to government as an MHK?
- My commitment to continue to serve and represent the people of East Douglas, in particular, and the Isle of Man as a whole.
- My commitment to always act in the best interests of the Isle of Man and its people.
- My commitment to be available, approachable and open minded.
- My commitment to be fair in my dealings with the public.
- My commitment to be a positive member of Government with a “can do” attitude to issues of public concern.
- My commitment to work with other members of Government to achieve positive benefits for the Isle of Man.